Entertainment‎ > ‎

Nephew Of British Musician Phil Collins Re-Arrested In Peru

posted 6 May 2013, 12:29 by Sam Mbale   [ updated 6 May 2013, 12:30 ]

Paroled nephew of Genesis vocalist Phil Collins is re-arrested in Peru after failing to report to court.

LIMAPERU  (POLICE HANDOUT) - Peruvian police re-arrested the nephew of British singer, drummer and actor Phil Collins for allegedly violating the terms of his conditional parole, local media reported.

Thirty-seven year-old Philip Austin Collins was with his friend, Richard Marshall Crewe, when he was apprehended at a Lima hotel. Crewe was also taken into custody.

Collins and Marshall were both arrested in March 12, 2012 on the outskirts of the capital as they prepared to board a Europe-bound yacht carrying some 40 kilos of cocaine hidden in fire extinguishers.

Public prosecutor Jorge Chavez explained the circumstances of the arrest.

"The British citizen Phil Collins last year - after an ongoing intelligence investigation - was arrested and 40 kilograms of cocaine hydrochloride was confiscated. These drugs were going to be taken to Europe," he said.

They were released on parole a year later in a controversial ruling that was appealed by Chavez. He said the decision was an outrage.

"In the 18 years I have been working as a prosecutor, with 17 of those as an anti-drugs prosecutor, the only way a person linked with drug trafficking has had an arrest order changed to that of parole is when new evidence is presented. I have never seen such a case of unabashed crime, such as this one, where approximately 40 kilograms of cocaine have been seized and the arrest order has been changed to that of parole with the sole sworn statement from a (Peruvian) citizen, who has guaranteed giving them both work and a place of residence, above all if this citizen (referring to the Peruvian) has been expelled by the Judicial Power for acts of corruption," he said.

According to the La Republica newspaper, the court had required the the two paroled British citizens to report their activities every 15 days to Judge Manuel Loyola, but they never did.

Upon investigation, prosecutors discovered that Collins and Crewe were neither living nor working where they had stated they would during their trial.

An arrest warrant was issued and a search launched. They were found hours later at a local hotel where they were immediately arrested. Both men many be charged with contempt of court and subjected to civil or criminal penalties.